map of Hawaii title=Hawaii
Hawaii Agencies Related to PAS

The following is background and contact information about state agencies involved with Personal Assistance Services.

State Personal Care Programs

States have the option of offering personal care services (PCS) as a Medicaid benefit. States have considerable discretion in defining PCS but programs typically involve non-medical assistance with activities of daily living (e.g., bathing and eating) for participants with disabilities and chronic conditions.

Unlike waivers, the PCS benefit must be available to all categorically eligible groups but states can opt to include the medically needy (those who spend down to the state standard because of medical expenses).

Hawaii Personal Care Agency Information
Program name No program currently available
Description No program currently available
Contact Information No program currently available
Website No program currently available

Medicaid Agency

Medicaid is health insurance that helps many people who can't afford medical care pay for some or all of their medical bills. Medicaid is paid for by Federal and State funds. There is an organization in each state government that is responsible for administering Medicaid in that state. Each state sets its own guidelines regarding who can receive services (eligibility) and what services are covered under Medicaid.

Federal law states that Medicaid eligibility is limited to people who fall into specified categories, which cover five broad groups of people: pregnant women, children and teenagers, seniors, people with disabilities and people who are blind. Within these groups, certain eligibility requirements must be met, for example, your income and resources (like bank accounts, property, or other items that can be sold for cash) and whether you are a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant. The rules for counting income and resources vary from state to state and from group to group. There are special rules for those who live in nursing homes and for disabled children living at home.

Many different sorts of services and support are available through Medicaid and these also vary from state to state. You can use the contact details below to find out more about Medicaid coverage in each state.

Hawaii Medicaid Agency Contact Information
Agency name and Address: Dept of Human Services of Hawaii PO Box 339. Honolulu, HI 96809
Phone: 808-524-3370 Toll free: 1-800-316-8005
TTY: 808-692-7182
Website: Med-QUEST Division

Mental Health Services

The federal government provides many resources for the prevention and treatment of mental health problems, including providing money to states so they can provide a range of community-based mental health treatment and support services to adults and children. Decisions about the treatment and care of people with emotional problems and mental illness are made at the local and state levels so the types of services that are available, and how those services are funded, vary from state to state.

The Mental Health Agency in each state can provide information about what services are available locally, including information about admission, care, treatment, release and patient follow-up in public or private psychiatric residential facilities. The Mental Health Agency may also have contact details for the local chapters of self-help organizations that have information about any other services that are available locally.

Hawaii Mental Health Services Contact Information
Agency name and Address Adult Mental Health Division. Department of Health. 1250 Punchbowl #256. Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone 808-586-4686

State Unit on Aging

The Older Americans Act (OAA) is the primary vehicle for organizing and providing Home and Community-Based Services for older people and their families. All individuals 60 years of age and older are eligible for services under the OAA, although priority attention is given to those who are in greatest need.

The U.S. Administration on Aging administers the OAA. For a state to receive federal funds to implement to OAA, the Governor has to appoint a State Unit on Aging. State Units on Aging develop a statewide aging plan of how services and supports will be provided. Many states have divided the state into Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs) to administer OAA programs (13 states and Territories have single planning areas). In most cases, the AAA assesses the needs of older people although they do not provide direct services (they subcontract with other organizations).

There are 6 main types of services that may be available in states; (1) services to help people stay in their homes (e.g. chore and personal care services), (2) nutrition services, (3) preventive health services, (4) The National Family Caregiver Support Program (funded for the first time in 2000) to help people caring for spouses, parents, older relatives and friends as well as grandparents caring for grandchildren and caregivers of people 18 and under with mental retardation or developmental difficulties (5) protection for the rights of vulnerable older people (e.g. pension counseling programs) and (6) services to Native Americans.

To find local services and contact local Area Agencies on Aging, either contact the State Unit on Aging or call the ‘Eldercare Locator’ (a national toll-free service to help callers find services that may help them). The Eldercare Locator number is 1-800-677-1116.

Hawaii State Unit on Aging Contact Information
Agency name and Address EXECUTIVE OFFICE ON AGING. No 1 Capitol District. 250 South Hotel St., Ste 109. Honolulu, HI 96813

Protection and Advocacy Agency

The Federal Government funds Protection and Advocacy (P&A) agencies in each state. These agencies are mandated by Congress to provide legal representation and other advocacy services, under all federal and state laws, to all people with disabilities. All P&As maintain a presence in facilities that care for people with disabilities, where they monitor, investigate and attempt to remedy adverse conditions. They help ensure people with disabilities have full access to educational programs, financial entitlements, health and long-term care, housing and employment opportunities.

Each P&A has a program to safeguard the rights of specific groups of people. For example: Protection and Advocacy for Individuals with Mental Illness (PAIMI); Protection and Advocacy for Individual Rights (PAIR); and Client Assistance Programs (CAP).

Hawaii Protection and Advocacy Agency Contact Information
Agency name and Address Hawaii Disability Rights Center. 900 Fort Street Mall, Suite 1040 Pioneer Plaza. Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone 808-949-2922

Home Health Agencies

Medicaid Home Health services can be provided to Medicaid participants other than those eligible for institutional care. All states offer Medicaid Home Health and they can vary the amount, scope and duration of benefits offered (so long as they remain sufficient to reasonably achieve their purpose and are the same for all eligibility groups). Examples of services provided are skilled nursing care to help with Activities of Daily Living (ADL) and therapies.

Hawaii Home Health Agency Information
Agency Description Home Health services provide in-home services such as home health aides and help with activities of daily living such as chores and cooking.
Agency name and Phone Department of Human Services 808-586-5390
Website Department of Human Services website

State Independent Living Council and Centers for Independent Living

Some Independent Living Centers (ILC) provide a list of local personal assistants or even administer programs to match people with personal assistants. The State Independent Living Council (SILC) is the state agency that has contact with these agencies as well as other state agencies.

Choose Another State

Select from map or list: